Jazz in Schools
JAG is in schools, making a significant impact on thousands of people each year through assembly performances and residencies, professional development for educators, and arts integrated projects. Jazz offers a fresh approach to creating and thinking and can serve as a vehicle for learning and processing information. Our musicians interact with audiences and our programs provide a balance of knowledge, conceptual understanding and skill development.
- We teach past the auditorium and into the classroom.
- We teach past the technical aspects and into the spaces for creativity.
- We teach past the group and into development of the individual.
- We encourage listening. We encourage creativity and curiosity.
- We bolster higher level thinking at every grade level.
- All That Jazz (4-6)
- Newberry Medal Award winning book, Bud, Not Buddy
- Jazz 4 Kids (K-5)
- Jazz 4 Kids (K-2)
- Creative Hybrids (high school composition)
- Studio recording of You’re A Lot Like Me
- Cultural journeys of Where in the World is Reggie Jackson?
- Exploration of change: American Resilience
- Research of our neighborhood: Beyond the Blackberry Patch
- Building character: Sweet Rosa (coming soon)
- Discovering our roots: The Blues: America’s Storyteller (coming soon)
- Making cultural connections: Musica de las Americas (coming soon)
“I can’t decide whether I’m more touched by the creativity and progress made by the students, the curious involvement of the teachers or the passionate interaction of the musicians. Jazz in Schools crafts win-win-win programs.”
Director of Education – Jazz in Schools
Jazz Arts Group