Jazz in Schools
JAG is in schools, making a significant impact on thousands of people each year through assembly performances and residencies, professional development for educators, and arts integrated projects. Jazz offers a fresh approach to creating and thinking and can serve as a vehicle for learning and processing information. Our musicians interact with audiences and our programs provide a balance of knowledge, conceptual understanding and skill development.
- We teach past the auditorium and into the classroom.
- We teach past the technical aspects and into the spaces for creativity.
- We teach past the group and into development of the individual.
- We encourage listening. We encourage creativity and curiosity.
- We bolster higher level thinking at every grade level.
- All That Jazz (4-6)
- Jazz 4 Kids (K-2)
- Making Choices (7 & 8 in the Band Room)
- Creative Hybrids (high school composition)
- Masters and Friends (middle and high school musicians)
- Studio recording of You’re A Lot Like Me
- Newberry Medal Award winning book, Bud, Not Buddy
- Cultural journeys of Where in the World is Reggie Jackson?
- Exploration of American Resilience
- Research of Beyond the Blackberry Patch
“I can’t decide whether I’m more touched by the creativity and progress made by the students, the curious involvement of the teachers or the passionate interaction of the musicians. Jazz in Schools crafts win-win-win programs.”
Director of Jazz in Schools
Jazz Arts Group/Jazz Academy