Columbus musical legend Hank Marr was one of the world’s masters of the Hammond B-3 organ. Along with Hank’s celebrity status as a member of the jazz elite, he was a dedicated and gifted educator. In recognition of over fifty years as a performer, teacher, arranger and conductor, the Jazz Arts Group has established the Hank Marr High School Jazz Award as a tribute to this special individual. His willingness to “pass it on” makes the encouragement of young jazz artists an important and meaningful activity.
Grand Prize winner will be awarded:
- The opportunity to perform as a guest soloist with the Columbus Jazz Orchestra at a JazZoo concert in Summer 2019
- A $500 cash prize
- Eight (8) Jamey Aebersold books
- The two runners-up will receive eight (8) Jamey Aebersold books: four (4) to keep and four (4) to give to their school music program.
- Audition submission deadline: Apirl 3, 2020
- First round audition notification: April 17, 2020
- Finals: Saturday, April 30, 2020– Jazz Academy (Columbus, Ohio)
All entrants: (except drummers, vocalists and bassists) submit three (3) selections from the Jamey Aebersold collection of play-alongs (see below for tips on selecting tunes); select a jazz standard, a 12-bar blues, and a selection of your choice. Entire audition recording should not exceed 20 minutes.
Drummers: Record two selections of your choice from ESSENTIAL STYLES FOR THE DRUMMER AND BASSIST, Vol. I or Vol. II by S. Houghton & T. Warrington (Alfred); select one swing selection and one contrasting style (use tracks without drums); for your third selection, provide evidence of a medium swing, trade 4s for 32 bars (4 bars time / 4 bars solo). Entire Audition recording should not exceed 20 minutes.
Bassists: Record two selections of your choice from ESSENTIAL STYLES FOR THE DRUMMER AND BASSIST, Vol. I or Vol. II by S. Houghton & T. Warrington (Alfred); select one swing selection and one contrasting style (use tracks without bass); for your third selection, provide a 12-bar blues of your choice: 1 chorus melody, 1 chorus walking bass line, 1 chorus solo on blues changes and 1 chorus melody. Entire audition recording should not exceed 20 minutes.
Vocalists: Record three selections of your choice from Aebersold Play-a-Long Volume 107, Volume 113, or Volume 117. Selections should demonstrate contrasting styles. Entire audition recording should not exceed 20 minutes.
- When choosing selections from the Jamey Aebersold collection of play-alongs, consider selecting from Volume 54, “Maiden Voyage”, which contains many good examples of common jazz standards. Click HERE to purchase.
- Jamey Abersold’s list of songs for beginners contains many titles suitable for your audition. Download HERE.
- For the complete “Rapid Reference” sheet of all Aebersold selections, including song titles, tempos and song types (Blues, Standard, etc.), click HERE.
- There are many ways to record your audition, from an iPhone recording to a portable recorder such as a Zoom or similar device, or even a recording in a full studio. However, a high-quality recording will best represent your playing, and a sub-par recording could hinder the success of your audition. For questions on how to record your audition selections, please ask your band director/private teacher, or don’t hesitate to contact Zach Compston, Jazz Arts Group Director of Education and Community Engagement at email@example.com.