Whether you are new to the Youth Jazz program, a seasoned veteran, or have only been a part of our online rehearsals, we invite you to join us on August 5th for a full rundown of what to expect as we return to in-person music making this fall. In this information session, you will learn about our big bands
We look forward to hearing you play and want you to have a successful audition and experience. As you play through your audition, we will be listening/watching for the following:
- Your sound and tone/touch
- Your ability to read music
- Ability to demonstrate a jazz or swing feel
- Knowledge of basic scales
- Basic knowledge of counting and playing rhythms (16th notes, triplets. etc.)
Your private music instructor and/or band director can be helpful to you as you prepare for this audition.
Audition Dates & Times:
- 8/28 – 10AM-1PM: auditions for returning and/or more experienced students
- 10am – Saxophones
- 11am – Brass (Trumpet and Trombone)
- 12pm – Rhythm Section (Guitar, Piano, Bass, Drums)
- 8/29 – 12PM-3PM: auditions for students new to the program/less experienced
- 12pm – Saxophones
- 1pm – Brass (Trumpet and Trombone)
- 2pm – Rhythm Section (Guitar, Piano, Bass, Drums
1.) Students will be asked to play the ascending and descending concert B-Flat major scale. (Brass: two octaves if possible).
2.) Choose ONE selection from the following etudes. Students will be asked to perform the song two times through (take the repeat): First time: play the written melody, Second time: perform an improvised solo. When in doubt about improvising on the song, simply restate the melody, utilizing new rhythms and variations!
Level 1 – for beginning/intermediate instrumentalists
(based on the 12-bar blues in the key of concert F)
Level 2 – for intermediate/advanced instrumentalists
(based on the standard jazz song “On the Sunny Side of the Street”)
3.) You will be asked to perform a sight reading excerpt, to be chosen by the panel based on age/skill level.