Audition Information for 2020-2021
- Auditions for the 2020-21 Columbus Youth Jazz season will take place September 5th and 6th.
- Upon auditioning, students will be placed in one of four big bands which rehearse and perform from September 2020 until May 2021. Alternatively, students may be recommended for the 8-week Columbus Youth Jazz Lab.
- Any student can join the 8-week CYJ Lab in the spring and fall. An audition is highly encouraged, but not required for participation in the CYJ Lab.
We will reach out to all registrants in early to mid-August with the official audition weekend schedule. Please keep an eye on your email for this information.
We look forward to hearing you play and want you to have a successful audition and experience. As you play through your audition, we will be listening/watching for the following:
- Your sound and tone/touch
- Your ability to read music
- Ability to demonstrate a jazz or swing feel
- Knowledge of basic scales
- Basic knowledge of counting and playing rhythms (16th notes, triplets. etc.)
Your private music instructor and/or band director can be helpful to you as you prepare for this audition.
1.) Students will be asked to play the ascending and descending concert B-Flat major scale. (Brass: two octaves if possible).
2.) Choose ONE selection from the following etudes. Students will be asked to perform the song two times through (take the repeat): First time: play the written melody, Second time: perform an improvised solo. When in doubt about improvising on the song, simply restate the melody, utilizing new rhythms and variations!
Level 1 – for beginning/intermediate instrumentalists
(based on the 12-bar blues in the key of concert F)
Level 2 – for intermediate/advanced instrumentalists
(based on the standard jazz song “In a Mellow Tone”, written by Duke Ellington)
3.) You will be asked to perform a sight reading excerpt, to be chosen by the panel based on age/skill level.