An 8-week immersion into the art of jazz in the fall and spring, the Columbus Youth Jazz Lab is designed for all instrumentalists and vocalists grades 7-12 seeking further development on their instrument.
This tuition-free program is held on Sunday afternoons at the Jazz Academy, focusing on listening, learning and performing jazz. Each two-hour session contains instrumental lessons and jazz combo rehearsals, culminating in a final performance at the Jazz Academy. The Columbus Youth Jazz Lab promotes jazz and improvisation as a vehicle for developing community, creativity, and expression in a fun and engaging environment.
The CYJ Lab meets from 2:00 – 3:30pm at the Jazz Academy (769 E. Long St. Columbus, OH 43203). Vocalists in the CYJ Lab meet from 1:00 – 2:45pm on all scheduled days.
No jazz experience is required for participation in the Columbus Youth Jazz Lab. However, students should have a minimum one year of fundamental experience on his/her instrument.
Fall 2019 CYJ Lab Dates:
- 9/15: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 9/22: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 9/29: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 10/6: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 10/13: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 10/20: NO CYJ Lab, everyone receives two tickets to Columbus Jazz Orchestra performance
- 10/27: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 11/3: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 11/10: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 11/17: CYJ Lab final performance (Lincoln Theatre Ballroom)