An 8-week immersion into the art of jazz in the fall and spring, the Columbus Youth Jazz Lab is designed for all instrumentalists grades 7-12 seeking further development on their instrument.
This tuition-free program is held on Sunday afternoons at the Jazz Academy, focusing on listening, learning and performing jazz. Each two-hour session contains instrumental lessons and jazz combo rehearsals, culminating in a final performance at the Jazz Academy. The Columbus Youth Jazz Lab promotes jazz and improvisation as a vehicle for developing community, creativity, and expression in a fun and engaging environment.
The CYJ Lab meets from 2:00 – 3:30pm at the Jazz Academy (769 E. Long St. Columbus, OH 43203).
No jazz experience is required for participation in the Columbus Youth Jazz Lab. However, students should have a minimum one year of fundamental experience on his/her instrument.
Spring 2018 CYJ Lab Dates:
- 1/14: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 1/21: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 1/28: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 2/4: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 2/18: NO CYJ Lab, everyone receives two tickets to Columbus Jazz Orchestra performance
- 2/25: NO CYJ Lab (Optional: Attend Swing Sunday at the Clintonville Woman’s Club)
- 3/4: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 3/11: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 3/18: NO CYJ Lab, everyone receives two tickets to Columbus Jazz Orchestra performance
- 3/25: CYJ Lab final performance (Location TBD)