An 8-week immersion into the art of jazz in the fall and spring, the Columbus Youth Jazz Lab is designed for all instrumentalists and vocalists grades 7-12 seeking further development on their instrument.
This tuition-free program is held on Sunday afternoons at the Jazz Academy, focusing on listening, learning and performing jazz. Each two-hour session contains instrumental lessons and jazz combo rehearsals, culminating in a final performance at the Jazz Academy. The Columbus Youth Jazz Lab promotes jazz and improvisation as a vehicle for developing community, creativity, and expression in a fun and engaging environment.
The CYJ Lab meets from 2:00 – 3:30pm at the Jazz Academy (769 E. Long St. Columbus, OH 43203).
No jazz experience is required for participation in the Columbus Youth Jazz Lab. However, students should have a minimum one year of fundamental experience on his/her instrument.
Spring 2019 CYJ Lab Dates:
- 1/6: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 1/13: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 1/20: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 1/27: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 2/3: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 2/10: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 2/17: NO CYJ Lab, everyone receives two tickets to Columbus Jazz Orchestra performance
- 2/24: NO CYJ Lab
- 3/3: CYJ Lab at Jazz Academy
- 3/10: CYJ Lab final performance (Jazz Academy)