Our youth jazz program fulfills this mission by providing the opportunity for students in grades 7 – 12 to participate in one of three outstanding learning and performing ensembles as well as an 8-week jazz immersion program. Each ensemble rehearses weekly and offers a variety of performances and other educational activities each season.
JAG’s Youth Jazz program consists of the following:
- Columbus Youth Jazz Workshop (CYJW)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Studio Ensemble (CYJSE)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Orchestra (CYJO)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Lab
Should you successfully audition for a position on one of JAG’s three ensembles, the following opportunities and expectations are available to participants and their families:
- The Jazz Arts Group supports music education in the schools and cooperates with the music education community – all Youth Jazz members are expected to be actively participating in their school music program(s).
- Youth Jazz participants must fully commit to the ensemble’s rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Youth Jazz participants and one parent receive free admission to all Columbus Jazz Orchestra Swingin’ with the CJO performances.
- Youth Jazz participants will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of performance and educational activities and to work with prominent local, regional and national musicians.
- Youth Jazz participants receive discounted registration on all Jazz Academy classes, workshops and events.
JAG’s Youth Jazz program receives support from the Greater Columbus Arts Council, the Ohio Arts Council, Kiwanis Club of Columbus and Plante Moran, and individual contributions from program supporters.