Hank Marr High School Jazz Award
Jazz Arts Group is looking for Ohio’s finest young musicians to participate in the 12th annual Hank Marr High School Jazz Award.
Columbus musical legend Hank Marr was one of the world’s masters of the Hammond B-3 organ. Along with Hank’s celebrity status as a member of the jazz elite, he was a dedicated and gifted educator. In recognition of over fifty years as a performer, teacher, arranger and conductor, the Jazz Arts Group has established the Hank Marr High School Jazz Award as a tribute to this special individual. His willingness to “pass it on” makes the encouragement of young jazz artists an important and meaningful activity.
Grand Prize winner will be awarded:
- The opportunity to perform as a guest soloist with the Columbus Jazz Orchestra at a 2014 JazZoo! performance
- A $500 cash prize
- Eight (8) Jamey Aebersold books
Congratulations to our 2013 grand prize winner, Luke Berger.
- The two runners-up will receive eight (8) Jamey Aebersold books: four (4) to keep and four (4) to give to their school music program.
Congratulations to our 2013 runners-up, Ariel Glassman and Gabby Pedroza.
All entrants: (except drummers, vocalists and bassists) submit three (3) selections from the Jamey Aebersold collection of play-alongs; select a jazz standard, a 12-bar blues, and a selection of your choice. Audition recording should not exceed 20 minutes.
Drummers: Record two (2) selections of your choice from ESSENTIAL STYLES FOR THE DRUMMER AND BASSIST, Vol I or Vol II by S. Houghton & T. Warrington (Alfred); select one swing selection and one contrasting style (use tracks without drums); for your third selection, provide evidence of a medium swing, trade 4s for 32 bars (4 bars time / 4 bars fill). Audition recording should not exceed 20 minutes.
Bassists: Record two (2) selections of your choice from ESSENTIAL STYLES FOR THE DRUMMER AND BASSIST, Vol I or Vol II by S. Houghton & T. Warrington (Alfred); select one swing selection and one contrasting style (use tracks without bass); for your third selection, provide a 12-bar blues of your choice: 1 chorus melody, 1 chorus walking bass line, 1 chorus solo on blues changes and 1 chorus melody. Audition recording should not exceed 20 minutes.
Vocalists: Record three (3) selections of your choice from the Jamey Aebersold play-alongs “IT HAD TO BE YOU” STANDARDS IN SINGER’S KEYS, Vol 107, maximum 20 minutes. Selections should demonstrate contrasting styles.
Submission Process & Eligibility
All Ohio students, grades 9-12, are eligible to apply. Individuals who have won the Hank Marr High School Jazz Award in the past two years are NOT eligible to participate.
Submissions will be accepted electronically, via mail or dropped off to the JAG offices, 769 E. Long Street, Columbus, OH 43203.
- Fill out the online application, upload your electronic files, and submit with your $25.00 application fee.
- Electronic submissions must be received by 5:00 p.m., March 28, 2014. No late entries will be accepted.
- Print the application and fill it out completely.
- If paying the $25.00 application fee with a credit card, fill out the credit information on the application. If paying by check, make the check payable to Jazz Arts Group, and include it with your application.
- Record music selections onto a recordable CD or flash drive and submit with application and payment.
- Submissions can be mailed or dropped off to Jazz Arts Group, 769 E. Long Street, Columbus, Ohio 43203.
- Submissions must be received by 5:00 p.m., March 28, 2014. No late entries will be accepted.
All submissions will be evaluated by outstanding professional musicians/educators in a “blind” process. Three finalists will be selected. All entrants will be notified by April 25, 2014.
Finalists will perform with a professional rhythm section and judged by outstanding professional musicians/music educators. Musical selections will be provided to the three finalists upon notification of their selection. Finalists must provide a short biographical paragraph and/or resume and photo at their final performance. Finals will take place on Saturday, May 10, 2014 (11:00 a.m.) at the Jazz Academy. This is an opportunity to demonstrate your professionalism; so please dress appropriately for the occasion.
- Audition submission deadline: March 28, 2014
All submissions must be received by 5:00 p.m., March 28, 2014 – no late submissions will be accepted
- First round audition notification: by April 25, 2014
- Finals: Saturday, May 10, 2014, 11:00 a.m.
Finals will take place at the Jazz Academy, 4th floor of the Lincoln Theatre complex, 769 E. Long Street, Columbus, Ohio 43203
- JazZoo! performance with the Columbus Jazz Orchestra: TBA (afternoon rehearsal)