Columbus Youth Jazz Program
Thank you for your interest in Jazz Arts Group’s (JAG) Youth Jazz program. The mission of the Jazz Arts Group is to advance and celebrate the art of jazz through performance and education. Our youth jazz program fulfills this mission by providing the opportunity for students in grades 7 – 12 to participate in one of three outstanding learning and performing ensembles as well as an 8-week jazz immersion program. Each ensemble rehearses weekly and offers a variety of performances and other educational activities each season.
JAG’s Youth Jazz program consists of the following:
- Columbus Youth Jazz Workshop (CYJW)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Studio Ensemble (CYJSE)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Orchestra (CYJO)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Lab
Should you successfully audition for a position on one of JAG’s three ensembles, the following opportunities and expectations are available to participants and their families:
- The Jazz Arts Group supports music education in the schools and cooperates with the music education community – all Youth Jazz members are expected to be actively participating in their school music program(s).
- Youth Jazz participants must fully commit to the ensemble’s rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Youth Jazz participants receive free admission to all Columbus Jazz Orchestra Swingin’ with the CJO performances; family members receive a buy one/get one free offer for Swingin’ with the CJO performances.
- Youth Jazz participants will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of performance and educational activities and to work with prominent local, regional and national musicians.
- Youth Jazz participants are community partners of the Jazz Academy and receive discounted registration on all Jazz Academy classes, workshops and events.
Columbus Youth Jazz 2015-16 audition information:
Auditions for the 2015-16 Youth Jazz season will take place on Saturday, September 12, 2015 at Fort Hayes Performing Arts Building and Sunday, September 13, 2015 at the Jazz Academy. The audition schedule is as follows:
Saturday, September 12 at Fort Hayes Performing Arts Building – 540 Jack Gibbs Blvd. Columbus, OH 43215 (for first-time auditions and/or students less experienced in jazz):
- 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. – Saxophones (feel free to bring multiple saxes and woodwind doubles)
- 11:00 – 12:00 p.m. – Brass instruments (trumpet & trombone)
- 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. – Rhythm section (piano, bass, drum set, guitar)
Sunday, September 13 at the Jazz Academy – 769 E. Long St. Columbus, OH 43203 (for previous youth jazz students and/or students with more experience in jazz):
- 2:00 -3:30 p.m. – Saxophones (feel free to bring multiple saxes and woodwind doubles)
- 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. – Brass instruments (trumpet & trombone)
- 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. – Rhythm section (piano, bass, drum set, guitar)
You may show up at either session if you have a conflict on your scheduled audition day – please advise us in advance at email@example.com.
Scholarship information will be provided upon request once audition and placement in one of the three ensembles has occurred.
Please pre-register for your audition by clicking below:
Download the application packet here along with the audition charts:
- 2015-16 Youth Jazz Audition Packet
- Level 1 Audition Materials (required by all students)
- Level 2 Audition Materials (optional – advanced)
- Lead Brass Audition Materials (optional – for those seeking lead brass positions)
JAG’s Youth Jazz program receives support from the Greater Columbus Arts Council, the Ohio Arts Council and Plante & Moran. The Columbus Youth Jazz Lab is made possible by The Columbus Foundation “Spirit of 70” program.