Columbus Youth Jazz Program
SIGN UP FOR THE SPRING 2016 COLUMBUS YOUTH JAZZ LAB!
Beginning January 10th from 2-4pm at the Jazz Academy, students will have the opportunity to learn jazz on their instrument in a fun and engaging environment. This 8-week tuition-free program consists of group lessons, listening and learning and a jam session experience. For students grades 7-12 with a minimum of 1 year of fundamental experience on their instrument.
About the Columbus Youth Jazz Program:
The mission of the Jazz Arts Group is to advance and celebrate the art of jazz through performance and education. Our youth jazz program fulfills this mission by providing the opportunity for students in grades 7 – 12 to participate in one of three outstanding learning and performing ensembles as well as an 8-week jazz immersion program. Each ensemble rehearses weekly and offers a variety of performances and other educational activities each season.
JAG’s Youth Jazz program consists of the following:
- Columbus Youth Jazz Workshop (CYJW)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Studio Ensemble (CYJSE)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Orchestra (CYJO)
- Columbus Youth Jazz Lab
Should you successfully audition for a position on one of JAG’s three ensembles, the following opportunities and expectations are available to participants and their families:
- The Jazz Arts Group supports music education in the schools and cooperates with the music education community – all Youth Jazz members are expected to be actively participating in their school music program(s).
- Youth Jazz participants must fully commit to the ensemble’s rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Youth Jazz participants receive free admission to all Columbus Jazz Orchestra Swingin’ with the CJO performances; family members receive a buy one/get one free offer for Swingin’ with the CJO performances.
- Youth Jazz participants will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of performance and educational activities and to work with prominent local, regional and national musicians.
- Youth Jazz participants are community partners of the Jazz Academy and receive discounted registration on all Jazz Academy classes, workshops and events.
Columbus Youth Jazz Audition Information:
Auditions for the 2016-17 Columbus Youth Jazz program will take place in September 2016. Official dates and times will be announced in April 2016.
Download the application packet (2015-16 season) here along with the audition charts:
- 2015-16 Youth Jazz Audition Packet
- Level 1 Audition Materials (required by all students)
- Level 2 Audition Materials (optional – advanced)
- Lead Brass Audition Materials (optional – for those seeking lead brass positions)