Founded over 40 years ago, the Jazz Arts Group’s (JAG) mission is to advance and celebrate the art of jazz through performance and education. Since its founding, JAG has grown into a nearly $2 million a year, multifaceted organization offering performance and education to central Ohio audiences. JAG is America’s oldest not-for-profit arts organization dedicated to producing, performing and promoting jazz.
Director of Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Interns, Outside agencies/vendors related to JAG communications
Type: Full time, Regular, Exempt
The Director of Marketing and Communications works in a highly collaborative and creative environment as a visionary within the organization. He/she develops and implements all branding, promotional and communication strategies for Jazz Arts Group initiatives. He/she maximizes JAG’s visibility using a working knowledge of past and current jazz musicians, eras and styles in tandem with forward-thinking practices for the advancement of the organization. He/she identifies relevant and compelling messages and stories within our artistic programming and vision and communicates them to potential partners. The Director of Marketing and Communications articulates the mission and vision of JAG to current and potentially new audience members as well as leaders in the community.
Job Tasks, Responsibilities and Authorities
- Communicates JAG’s plans, programs and performances to all media outlets; establishes and maintains rich partnerships with local, regional and national media; acts as spokesperson for the organization as requested; provides public information as requested.
- Establishes a master marketing calendar that outlines all campaigns and special events; coordinates all activities with the organization’s master operational calendar.
- Provides oversight for the development and production of all materials, produced in-house or through an outside vendor, used to support JAG’s public relations and marketing campaigns; creates materials for use in marketing and development, including supplemental grant materials; ensures the JAG brand is maintained and executed properly in all materials.
- Generates compelling language around artistic and educational programming in collaboration with Artistic Director and Director of Education and Community Engagement.
- Executes regular updates to the JAG website in collaboration with staff, ensuring ease of access and clear communication of key information.
- Develops and implements all aspects of season subscription and renewal campaigns for all JAG produced performances, including direct mail; provides oversight for the acquisition of prospect lists, production of all campaign materials, and work of outside contractors; assists the Executive Director and Board in establishing appropriate goals for the subscription campaign.
- Develops and implements a year-round single tickets sale campaign for all JAG produced performances and for Jazz Academy offerings, including the design and placement of print and electronic advertising; identifies and nurtures meaningful community partnerships for cross-promotion and collaboration; designs and administers special promotions and corporate or group sales; provides oversight to the work of outside contractors; provides periodic progress reports; assists the Executive Director and Board in establishing appropriate goals for the single ticket sale / registration campaigns.
- Provides audience segmentation and market analysis / trends for all JAG programs independently and in conjunction with other researchers; fully utilizes Ticketmaster/Archtics as a mechanism for marketing & sales; recommends marketing policies and promotional strategies for retaining current and reaching new audience; provide statistical analysis as requested.
- Works directly with development staff to package and actively solicit sponsorships and in-kind support for various product lines and campaigns; ensures that media exposure and acknowledgment promised to sponsors / donors occurs.
- Demonstrated expertise in a broad range of activities, including planning and budgeting, media relations, print, on-line and broadcast advertising, e-marketing, social media marketing strategies, direct mail, website design and management, database management and online ticketing systems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with staff and public through public speaking and writing.
- Has been the leader of a team and mentor/coach in a professional setting.
- Demonstrated ability to generate ideas, develop creative programs, and take risks.
- Exhibits passion, humility, sense of humor and love of learning.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Experience with writing and editing as well as in the management of graphic design projects.
- Person should be fluent in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop or equivalent software for basic graphic design work, although large project(s) would be contracted out.
- Person must be able to create content on a WordPress driven website.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or equivalent other advanced training preferred. Minimum of 3-5 five years of experience in marketing & communications.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours will be required.
Compensation: Commensurate with relevant qualifications and experience.
Application Process: Send cover letter/resume along with three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Jazz Arts Group c/o Press Southworth III, 769 E. Long St., Columbus, OH 43203. Application deadline is Monday, June 15, 2015.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Jazz Arts Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sec, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.